Sunday, April 22, 2012

DAY TWENTY SIX - Friday April 20

DAY TWENTY SIX - Friday April 20


We had the stage in the morning so we worked the huge scene that ends Act Two.  Patti and I worked together, very well, I might add, and nearly got it done.  But, again, there were some cranky, bored people. They were in the minority but you could feel the negative energy.  I decided to give a little impromptu pep talk at the end of rehearsal.  I explained that I understood, and asked them to understand, how difficult these huge scenes are to stage.  I went on to say that our job here is NOT to keep you artists entertained but that we are here to make the most entertaining show for their audience.  I said that it is totally understandable if they get bored.  But I asked that they keep their boredom to themselves.  Displaying and/or broadcasting their "I'm bored" energy inhibits our process and I told them I appreciated their patience and their skills - because they are doing excellent work - but to please put forth as much positive energy as possible.  

Gregg and Patti felt it was a good speech because I wasn't angry - I was calm and understanding of their position.  Gregg actually thought I was going to say, "If you're bored... then get the heck out of my rehearsal."  When, instead, I said, "If you're bored... I understand.  But please keep it to yourself."

During lunch, we had one of the theatre's computer techs look at Gregg's computer because every time he logged on to a wireless network at a hotel near his apartment, he could not get back on line here.  

We went to the Japanese restaurant for lunch.  Gregg was a little late - so here are Patti and I fending for ourselves.  



In the evening Patti worked with the ballet company while I started staging one of the epilogue scenes.  I finished a little early so I peeked in on Patti's work.  Here is an early version of the "In Chicago" number.




And here's Bogdan - the adorable little boy - son of two of the dancers - imitating the dancers.  He spends a lot of time in these rehearsals.  In fact, there are several little kids who hang around at rehearsals with their parents.  We don't mind at all.  Quite the opposite, in fact.



In the evening I worked a song which we've inserted for the character of Mary's Father, Benjamin Lloyd.  It will require some choreography - but I staged up until the dance break.  But after rehearsal, I got a great prop idea that would make the scene make sense and make the dance break even possible.  So, I've got to re-work that in a couple of days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment