Tuesday, April 10, 2012

DAY SEVENTEEN - Wednesday April 11

DAY SEVENTEEN - Wednesday April 11

A really fun day today - first Patti was teaching the waltz for the Prologue on stage and I was doing scene work upstairs in the rehearsal room with our two sets of comic couples.  Very game, very energetic, very smart questions - great rehearsal.

To the Japanese restaurant for lunch - here's a better video of the three foot long spout on the teapot!



In between sessions I had a long chat with the technical director about how they can't build everything we are asking for, that I can only have  24 chairs instead of 38 in the cafe and he showed me some drawings from our rather genius designer of things they were about to build that were not at all what I had asked for. They do a lot of things well here but with regard to our show, infrastructure and communication seems to be lacking a bit. I should qualify that.  It's worked for them for 80 years and, admittedly, I keep trying to push the "American Way" on them - and they don't think they need it. But I certainly would have liked to have seen these drawings - which were beautiful but completely wrong - before they were sent to be built.  Luckily, we caught them in time.

We also had a long scheduling meeting and a cuts meeting (I think we can trim about 12 minutes from the show).

In the evening, we continued choreography on the comic couple's number.  Here's Patti's Tap Class for Russian Actors Who Move Extremely Well - Most Of Whom Are Not Used To Tapping.

By the way, the guy in the soccer shirt just had a baby 3 days ago!

Before:


After:


Fun with rehearsal props!



This production is driving me to drink!

Not really!  It was a substitute prop we were using that I cut - it's empty!  But I want to take it home - it would make a great coin collector!

During our cuts discussion, I made a very delicious matzoh pizza with tomatoes and mushrooms.



Tommorow, staging during the first session, then "Singin In The Rain" (dubbed in Russian) to give our leads a sense of the playing and choreographic style we're looking for. 


No comments:

Post a Comment