Tuesday, April 3, 2012

DAY SEVEN - Sunday April 1

DAY SEVEN - Sunday April 1

Today we had our first day of two sessions.  Which was nice. We finished reading the second group of principals and then we started at the beginning again - but stopping to discuss history, relationships, stakes, conflict, goals, etc. We also found out over the past few days that the tempi at which they rehearsed the show before we got here were very, very slow - in a very un-American Musical Comedy way.  We worked to speed up the tempi and got a bit of flak, from one gal in particular. We had to explain that an American Foxtrot had to move like an American Foxtrot.  She felt if it was slower it could be more romantic. I firmly explained that romance can be slow but it can also be energized and that the slower tempo sucked all the energy out of the thing.  The differences in our approaches become clearer and clearer every day - as does the circuitous navigation that will be necessary to find our common ground. But we'll find it, I have no doubt. 
Later in the rehearsal, I could see some folks smiling and nodding along to these new tempi - as if hearing them in a new way - and liking it.  So that was very rewarding.

That same "Problem With The Tempi Woman" said at one point during our "table work", "Can we please rehearse?"  I explained that we WERE rehearsing.  In spite of that comment, with each passing hour, they seemed to accept a different way of working and judging from the frequency and ever-increasing depth of the questions they asked, we were clearly engaging each other in very exciting and creative ways. These people are CLEARLY very passionate about their work and take it very seriously. So even though there were some slightly heated moments - passionate, never angry, the work was very exciting.  And, of course, challenging - having to wait for an interpreter during each exchange direction of a two-way exchange.

One of the gents who is clearly a very gifted actor but has a rather small role in this show asked if I could make his part bigger. I explained that as a director, it was not my job, nor did it serve the play well, to simply add lines for him.  It would be bad for the play but maybe good for him.  He suggested we cut his role altogether.  He clearly has great skills and he's one of the guys I'd rather see playing a larger role that one of the young guys is playing. But those young guys are good too - so where would we put them? The re-casting puzzle was getting more complicated the more I thought about it - I truly did want to see this guy (and some others) in a larger role - but what's written is what's written.

At the end of the day, Gregg and I went to meet the chorus and have a short rehearsal with them.  Some of these folks will take comprimari (smaller) roles.

Here's a section of the chorus.


The re-casting conversation may have happened this day. I don't remember exactly. Regardless, afterwards, we were treated to a little bit of an American concert by the chief conductor here, Boris Nodelman.  As you can judge from his last name, he is of the tribe.  He offered to take me to a synagogue on Friday night for Passover!  Should be very interesting.  Here he is tickling the ivories...


For lunch we had a little slice of New York. Just across the street from the theatre is a cinema and inside the cinema is a Sbarros!  As Patti was still sick (still, poor thing), Gregg and I went there.  See the familiar logo? And the snow.

 See the menu?
 See my food?!

I thought you might enjoy seeing the journey from the outside world to my hotel room - if only to see how insanely close it is to a bustling theatre that welcomes about 1,500 people a day - just outside my door!

Here's the tour...



After lunch, we returned to continue our read/discussion/table work.  Again, the questions came more often and the dialogue between America and Russia got more engaging and the work continued to grow.

At night, I had a very special treat.  I got a Facetime call from the kids and they were playing Scattergories with my mom - who was visiting NY while my father was in Saudi Arabia opening up a new factory.

One of the kids suggested that I play Scattergories with them - so I did.  Fully engaged, two full rounds.  I even won!  It was like being there... almost.  I miss hugging and kissing them all, of course, but I'm telling you, this Facetime/Skype thing is making this adventure even possible.  I new it would be important... I could never have anticipated how much, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment