Friday, May 4, 2012

DAY FORTY - Friday May 4

DAY FORTY - Friday May 4

10:30 meeting with Kirill - I woke up at 10:22.  As you may have read, I haven't been feeling too well. 

Kirill said that he'd find a way to get the costume for the new Bondy.  Very good. NOTE FROM THE FUTURE: He did not. But apparently, come October, the new Bondy did have a costume and did the role extremely well. I recently heard through Gugu that even those who felt it was a risky choice because of his vocal abilities now agree it was a very good decision and opportunity for this performer.

During the first session Patti and I worked Mary's first song which is danced by the waiters in the cafe - and they are chorus members, not dancers.  Remember when that woman from the chorus cornered us after rehearsal to show us a video of how well they can dance?  She said they are all dancers and they currently feel like furniture in the show - remember, some of these "pieces of furniture" are the blackest holes of energy on the stage.  Most are not - but there are some that better sing really well, that's all I can say.  And they want to dance more.  When we first conceived this piece, were told the chorus sings, the dancers dance. But we'll let the singers dance - some of them.

Patti had one simple question for the girl with the video.  How long did it take for them to learn the (simple) choreography we saw on the video?  Two months was the answer.  Based on that time table, and compared to the complexity of Patti's choreography, we're talkin' a year for this!  But we agreed to give them a few dance moments.  

This was one of them.  They're NOT dancers.  They can move - well, some of them can - and some of them really can't.  Patti made them look very good - but it was not without its frustrations.

We finished the session by Patti touching up the number I choreographed last week - with Mary's eight millionaire heiress friends.  We didn't quite finish that.

Between sessions, Gregg and I were interviewed live on a radio program.  Patti wasn't feeling quite up to it so it was just the Misha and Grisha show.  There were a few call-in questions and a few tickets given away.  Click here to hear an edited version of the interview.  The link will launch an audio player.  Just click on the Play button.  Ignore the ads.  

I reviewed romantic lead stuff in the evening - three Marys, one Sandor.  Do the math!  It's crazy, right?

The stage manager asked me if I had the artwork for the toy guns the little princes use in their number.  I explained that I had the artwork and I could email it to her but since she didn't have email - how could I get it to her.  She asked if I could DRAW it for her.  I exclaimed NO!  This was artwork that was researched by our highly skilled, meticulously detailed set designer and had to be duplicated exactly. Could I DRAW IT FOR HER?!!!   I further exclaimed, "Does ANYONE here have email who can print this for her?!"  Ivgeny the assistant director simply gave me his and I simply emailed the picture to him and he simply printed it out for her and the prop shop simply built it perfectly to that picture.  So simple.

Tomorrow, I restage the Epilogue and Prologue since we lost the onstage fake band - and I'm actually feeling pretty good about the change. It will give EVERYONE stronger entrances.

No comments:

Post a Comment