Thursday, May 17, 2012

DAY FIFTY TWO - Wednesday May 16

DAY FIFTY TWO - Wednesday May 16

This started a string of very promising rehearsals. Finally, the chorus was behaving (well, most of them), everyone was focused (well, most of them) and we finally got to the point where we don't have to keep teaching and re-teaching.

But things got off to a very funky start.  Last night, we all met with the scheduler - Tatiana - before the sitzprobe (orchestra rehearsal). We told her we were in emergency mode and needed whatever hours could be made available to us. Not because we're not prepared with our work - we just haven't been getting as much time as we expected with the full cast. And there are many people missing so frequently that I have given up trying to remember which cast has done what scenes. She told us that on days when they don't have an evening show, we can rehearse for 4 hours in the first session and 3 in the second - as opposed to 3 and 3.  So we ALL AGREED that the DAY AFTER TOMORROW, and for the following two days, we would start at 10.

So imagine my surprise when I am just out of the shower and the phone rings. It is Ivgeny - the assistant director - finally deigning to use his cell phone to call somebody - asking where I am. "10 o'clock... all here. Waiting for you."  Grisha was on his way in from his apartment, Patti was still in bed. Tatiana had called everyone at 10AM one day early and forgot to tell the creative team!  Actually, it was a wasted early start since it could only be a three hour session as they have a show tonight anyway - so it didn't add any time at al.  So, again, after being as clear as (I thought) was humanly possible - everything still got screwed up.

I worked on all the massive scenes to review all moves to make sure we were prepared for run-throughs which start tomorrow.

I was very encouraged by this rehearsal, however.  As I had been by Monday night's rehearsal with the character guys. The chorus was well-behaved, everyone payed attention - they still don't write anything down so who knows what'll happen tomorrow.  But we did achieve nearly all I had planned.  The epilogue would have to wait until another day.

Between shows, Dave and I walked Patti to a haircut and then went on to the Japanese restaurant. On the way from one place and to the other, we ran into Gregg and Slava - his director friend with whom we were enchanted last night.  He said last night that he was going to have a surprise for me today.  And I knew it what it was. He pulled out a very attractive, if not new, Star of David with a link to hang from a chain. It was a gift for me - along with a big bear hug and a "Shalom" in my ear. He told me it was from Jerusalem - I joked, questioning if he flew there last night after we had met to get it.  He told me, "No, this was for a friend who is no longer with us."  So I got some dead guy's Jewish Star from this very dear Russian man - I promptly threaded a loop of dental floss through it and put it on my neck.  It was such a magnanimous gesture from a supremely magnanimous man.

In the evening, I was told I had all the actors but five.  Two of the five I was NOT supposed to have DID showed up - but barely any of the others did!  I COMPLETELY give up.  So I ran whatever I could with whomever was there.  Every time we review something is one more time it's reviewed - therefore... helpful.

After rehearsal, a short hang with Pisah, Grisha, Disha and Slava.  The theatre where he is artistic director is in Orenburg (?).  I asked him if he was allowed to fire people who were not doing their share of the work - as there are a few in that category here - and we often wonder why they still are.  He told us that because it is a state theatre, once they are hired, they have the job FOR LIFE. Unless they show up to rehearsal drunk... repeatedly! So, the job stability is definitely enviable. But the incentive to excel is non-existent since everyone makes around the same money and no one can get fired. Let me repeat: if they show up to work drunk - REPEATEDLY - or they just don't show up - they can be let go.  Otherwise, they're stuck with them.  Ergo pergo, so are we!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment