Sunday, May 20, 2012

DAY FIFTY SEVEN - Monday May 21

DAY FIFTY SEVEN - Monday May 21

Awakened by my favorite alarm clocks, Phoebe, Janet and Nathaniel.  There is apparently a ghost in the machine of our computer at home.  Lots of random right clicks happening.  I got online to help them out and suddenly, there were hundreds of cars honking like crazy with people flying Russian flags out of their windows.

Here's a noisy video - again, at 2:20AM!



Russia won some big hockey tournament.

Janet leaves to come here late tonight (NY Time) and arrives here late tomorrow (Russia time).

From here on in, things might get a bit hazy. It is tech week and things got so insane that I didn't have a chance to blog. And now it's October 30th and I have to rely on my memory from 5 months and two shows ago!

I'll do my best.

I went over lighting cues with Slava in the morning. He is communicating them to the board operator and, apparently, the show is being designed by all three of us!

We rehearsed, of course. And between sessions had a costume parade for Chorus and Ballet. Here are some photos:


Our Palace set

 Chorus Girls

Chorus Girls for "In Chicago" number

 Chorus girls in Americanski costumes
 

I'm in the middle with four of our six translators.

Me and a couple of Sandors - Vova on the left, Volodya on the right.

Somewhere around her, I was chatting with the stage manager at her station stage right and I asked how she calls the show without Clear-Com. Clear-Com (or other brand) is what we call the backstage communication system. Headsets, often wireless, to tie the stage manager to ALL stage hands running lights, sound, props, flys, automation, set moves etc. She looked at me very confused. There was not a headset in sight. She explained that she does not call the show. Everyone takes their own cues! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTT????????????!!!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Suddenly, a lot of the past 8 weeks made more sense. She was not in CHARGE of the show at all. She just made sure props were where they were suppoesed to be and called actors to the stage. But that was about it.

We had three hours onstage and I think we got through the epilogue and the first act. But I'm not really sure. It doesn't really matter - the entire week was very similar - full of tension - last minute costumes, set pieces not showing up, lighting that was EXTREMELY rough to begin with - every second was filled with making a thousand decisions. But a very important decision - who plays Friday, who plays Saturday and who doesn't play at all - still not being made. I apparently have to wait until THE DAY BEFORE WE OPEN!!!!!!!! That's psychological torture tantamount to Git-mo, I think.






No comments:

Post a Comment